Information for Users
Admission to the National Library is possible only with a valid library
card. There are two types of library cards:
- permanent card valid for one calendar year from the date of issue; holder of this card
enjoys all privileges including home loans,
- temporary card valid usually for one month; holder of this card enjoys all privileges
with the exception of home loans.
Permanent library card may be issued:
- to citizens of the Czech Republic, citizens of other countries and to those without
citizenship with permanent residency in the country; age requirement is 18 and over,
- only exceptionally to citizens of other countries and those without citizenship who
reside permanently elsewhere but work or study in the Czech Republic.
Temporary library card is issued when circumstances do not allow to
issue a permanent card:
- it may be issued to persons aged 18 and over who present valid personal ID,
- it may be issued to citizens aged 15 and over but younger than 18 upon presenting a
letter of recommendation from their legal guardian or school stating that no other library
can satisfy their needs and upon presenting a valid personal ID.
It is possible to borrow material from the library only when there are
multiple copies of the material in the library collections or it is from the
collection developed for lending outside (Main Hall). The rest are for use in
Rooms only. User may have out maximum of 10 items at the same time. In one of Reading
Rooms user may have borrowed or reserved maximum of 5 items at the same time. Loan period
for borrowing from the library is on month and for Reading Rooms is usually one week.
Loan period may be extended.
The National Library of the Czech Republic provides basic services free
of charge. Some of special services are billing according to the
current price list.