LPIS 2 Vocational programme
LPIS 3 ICEKNI (LIBINCE)
LPIS 4 Digital library
LPIS 5 RETROCON
LPIS 6 Memoriae Mundi
LPIS 7 Kramerius
LPIS 8 Electronic information
LPIS 9 Union Catalogue
The basic objective of Library Public Information
Services Programme (LPIS) is innovation of public information services
of libraries on the platform of information and communication technologies
Library public services deal mainly with:
- Provision of public access ICT sites with skilled assistance guaranteeing
equal access to information sources and networks for all groups of citizens
- Support for life-long education and meeting the cultural needs of
- Access to information from the public administration domain as stipulated
by Free Access to Information Act No 106/1999 Coll.
- Information supply supporting tourism, enterprise, legal conscience,
independent decision, including provision of special library and information
services to social and ethnic minorities
- Information and document supply for research and development
- Preservation of and access to the national cultural heritage enherited
in library collections
Partial aims of LPIS Programme
- Providing acces to Internet through a residential public library for
approx. 90 per cent of citizens of the Czech Republic by the way of
establishing Internet connectivity of public libraries and supplying
them with ICT equipment.
- Widening and improving quality of access to library collections and
information sources in libraries in the Czech Republic regardless of
their location for both local and remote users by the way of publishing
library catalogues in the Internet environment.
- Providing for ready and effective searching capacity on availability
of documents with libraries and information institutions on the territory
of the Czech Republic, speeding up and improving quality of interlibrary
lending and document supply with libraries in the Czech Republic.
- Extending offer of information services and sources provided on the
ICT platform including exhancement of access capacity to paid information
sources both domestic and foreign for purposes of education, use of
entrepreneurs and for other activities.
- Establishing and bringing to operation digital library and archives
that shall provide for preservation of and access to rare library documents
for both specialised user groups and general public.
- Providing, by the way of digitation, for preservation of and general
public access to rare library documents and other collections endangered
by the decay and constituting important part of the national cultural
- Participating in UNESCO digitation programme Memory of the World,
in the G7 states programme Bibliotheca universalis and realizing several
of main activities of the current 5th EU framework programme in the
field of the cultural heritage digital preservation and access.
- Training librarians from all types of libraries in ICT skills enabling
them to provide for qualified assistance to all library users in utilising
information sources and networks.
- Improving mutual cooperation of libraries in the field of information
sources acquisition, processing and sharing.
- Rationalization of library collection processing in libraries in the
Czech Republic by the way of shared cataloguing and reduction of the
overall amount of primary cataloguing within both current and retrospective
library collection processing.
The LPIS Programme is divided into nine cross-linked subprogrammes that
meet the objectives set.